Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 

Greetings from Malaysia

Arrived on Sunday night in Malaysia after 8 hour flight from Melbourne. Stayed first night in the bustling metropolis of Kuala Lumpur where I was met by a wall of humidity. Accommodation was in the city in a HOTEL! Yes when travelling in south east asia no room sharing is required. After all those weeks in oz sharing a room I rejoiced in the luxury of having my own room and bathroom. Next morning I ventured into the restaurant in search of brekkie where I discovered a selection of various noodles, sausages, baked beans and boiled eggs. I went for the beans and egg option which turned out to be cold beans and lukewarm liquid egg. Luckily I then spied the bowl of watermelon shining like a beacon of light on the other side of the room to save me from the salmonella horror in front of me.

I then escaped the city of terrible breakfasts as I was bound for the island of Penang. Food options on the plane were instant noodles or chicken porridge (yes, that's chicken porridge). Arrived safely and am staying just out of Georgetown in a big hotel by the beach. This time not only do I get my own room but I get 2 beds, a bath, a tv, a sea view and a cupboard with a light that switches on when you open the door (yes I am easily amused). Day 1 involved venture to local shopping centre and the hotel restaurant for dinner. I was delighted to find a range of vege options and ordered the ommelette with a little trepidation after my breakfast experience and vowed that day 2 would be the day I sample some traditional malaysian cuisine. Luckily when the food arrived not only was it cooked but cost the equivalent of 1 pound 50p ( if I loved the exchange rate in oz, in Malaysia I want to marry it and have its children).

Day 2 involved a lie in (the joys of being a lady of leisure), followed by another trip to shopping centre and a bit of relaxing on the beach (culture shock ruled and hadn't quite plucked up the courage to go into Georgetown).

Today is day 3 and made it to Georgetown, where I succeeded in finding my way around, and at lunchtime I fully immersed myself in traditional malaysian cuisine in the form of a toffee nut frappuccino and salt and vinegar crisps from starbucks. Also succeeded in booking 2 tours, purchased a mobile sim card and got on the correct bus home!

En route to malaysia


Georgetown
Nearly my newest travelling companion, a tiny ginger stray kitten I met this morning


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?