Monday, October 02, 2006

 

Yee-ha!

Completed my first week in cafe and now enjoying long weekend courtesy of her majesty - today is queen's birthday holiday (even the bank holidays are topsy turvy down here! If my trip had been timed differently I could even have had this bank holiday 3 times as takes place different times in different states).

This has been a weekend of firsts - on Saturday I went to my first rodeo, which was an experience! Quite entertaining in parts although wasn't exactly promoting animal welfare!



Also this weekend I went on a ROAD TRIP! We travelled a couple of hours through the Kimberley and back over the NT/WA border to the River Keep for a spot of fishing. Caught my first ever fish too - a catfish closely followed by a shark! Both escaped the BBQ though and were returned to the river whilst I cleaned my conscience!

Baby Jabiru spotted at the river

AFL (Australian Football League) fever gripped the nation too this week as the final took place at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Saturday - I knew the Aussies were into sport but this was a whole new level! It was the west coast Eagles versus the Sydney Swans and by Saturday morning excitement had reached fever pitch. The whole town was looking distinctly Ikea-like, awash with the Eagle's yellow and blue colours, and judging by the news coverage of the last week there were no other world events taking place. Stories abounded of west coast fans driving the 3000+ kilometres across Oz to watch the match, you can only imagine the lengths people would have gone to had Oz made it to the world cup final!

Temperatures are now increasing by the day and yesterday this was the hottest place in Oz at 39c! The build up to the wet season in now underway and it will now get more and more humid until December when the rains and lightning storms will kick in. Hopefully I will survive my time here without going troppo - this is when the heat and humidity get too much and send you crazy!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?